Sunday, February 22, 2009

Log cabin quilt

This is what I've been up to lately. As you can see, I haven't had time to blog much...but just look at the cool stuff I've been doing.
This is a log cabin quilt, all layed out and ready to sew together. All vintage fabrics from 1920-1975 or so. The pattern is "barn raising" and it is 6 pieces x 8 pieces. Finished without the fancy bindings it is about 60 x 80. Since I want it bigger, I will add at least 2, if not 3 complimenting bindings. The back will be the normal muslin. So...first I layed it out. Then, I started sewing it in strips. Then, I sewed the strips together to make the main part of the top.


I made 2 tops so far, and I have finally found the right color binding. One is gold, the other a
neat swiss dot in turquoise with gold, red, and orange itty bitty flowers. It looks vintage, so I'm thinking it will look good. Below is one of the finished tops with some of the fabric I THOUGHT looked good, but decided they just weren't right for the project. You know how that goes. Well, anyhow, I will put some pics up as soon as I have the bindings on and before I take them to the quilter to finish.
I have decided I like making tops, but not quilting, and the time it takes the nice lady to quilt it, I could have another top done. Right? Please tell me I'm right!
Today, seeing as how it's Sunday, I got to work on fun stuff, and I started another top. This time I made red centers, the traditional log cabin block, with some more vintage fabrics. I have enough to make another 3 quilt tops! The biggest problem is finding the right color and style fabrics to go with the tops.
Tomorrow I go and get two of the three tops I already gave to the quilter. I am very excited, 'cause they are the first quilts I have made for a very long time (years). I am determined not to be a quilter, but with all the scraps I have sitting around, it's hard to pass it by. I had fun on ebay buying lots of quilt books, as far away as Alaska. I have plenty of ideas now, just needing time to accomplish it all. I have lots and lots of custom orders in right now for motorcycle chaps and horse packs, zipper repairs and other custom items. I can't always spend that time having fun, you know, plus I have to take time out for the Milk Man's wife and sons. Well, it's time for some serious shut-eye. Chores, church, ham dinner, 90th birthday party, sewing, and supper. All just today. Yep, some serious shut-eye is due. 'Night all.

4 comments:

  1. Very Very Impressive!! Make me want to dig out old scraps and start something..but on a much simpler level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH that lucky girl of yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that log cabin quilt. I've just started that hobby--quilt piecing--not planning on quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started also. I'm not really a quilter...not even a wanna-be. I was just looking for a profitable method of using up scrap from my supply. Thanks for the warm fuzzies! They make me want to keep plugging along...

    ReplyDelete