Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Logging contest

This is the best Belgian we have ever owned! His name is King, and he is 21 years old. His work ethic and Kyle's are the same, when it comes to logging. You will notice the "toothpick" King is pulling is fairly easy. In the woods, he pulls out 16 foot oak logs that are 12-24 inches around. He gets help from Holly, another Belgian, with the bigger logs. Somewhere I have a similar picture, where all 4 feet are off the ground and it's like he is flying! Oftentimes Kyle rides the log out of the woods, as he is doing in this picture. I made the harness King has on, which I would appreciate no one copying. Custom sewing is my livelyhood, and I make a lot of harnesses, tack, saddlebags, panniers, and various other horse-related items. I have a notion of making a saddle or two one of these days, and I bought all the leather, books, and tools to do it. With that investment, I could have bought a very expensive saddle, but then the pride wouldn't be there, would it? I am having a hard time finding the right tree, however, so if anyone knows where I can find a rawhide covered wooden tree for a draft horse, let me know.

7 comments:

  1. OH IT LOOKS WONDERFUL!!!!! I have to laugh that Kyle is only as long as Kings tail!!!! LOL I sure hope I can get back up there to help him with some of the logging when it drys out! I will put you on my side bar my dearest auntie! LOVE YOU'S!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful BIG horse.

    I'll be watching to see how your blog expands ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful horse!! when I was young, we had a huge draft horse named Prince who (before we got him) was a logging horse up on Neebish Island. Us kids would ride him bareback all over the pasture.... from what I can see, great work on the harness! my aunt does alot of leather working and I appreciate anyone who can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful horse. My Dad farmed with horses when I was a little girl. He worked lomg hard days for him and the horses. They were so big and he fed them three meals a day when working them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are great. Imagine, friends. Visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any blog that has a Belgian deserves a second look. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous horse! I love the big horses. I used to photo alot of heavy horse pulls at Agri fairs.

    http://www.susandallphotography.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete